Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Day we Found Out we are Expecting QUADS


So, as some of you have probably heard by now, we are expecting!  We were so thrilled to find out that I was pregnant when we found out in April because we had been trying for awhile with no success.  We wanted so badly to start our family!  By my six week mark, we knew something was up.  I was feeling HORRIBLE, and I was already starting to show which should definitely not be happening so early on in the pregnancy.  On Thursday, May 8, 2014, I left work early and headed to the ER because I was in so much pain, and I wanted to know what was going on and make sure the "baby" was okay in there (I thought I might be miscarrying or that I had appendicitis!).

Well, when you are pregnant you get to skip the long lines of the ER, so that was a plus for me! They took me right back, and Chris met me there about 20 minutes later from work.  First, they ruled out appendicitis.  Next, they started pushing around on my stomach (HELLO uncomfortable!) to see where it hurt.  Next came the internal exam which was normal.  Next they brought in the ultrasound machine.  The Doctor asked if they could have some students come in to watch.  I said I did not mind, but, thankfully, Chris noticed I was nervous, and told them maybe it wasn't the best idea.  So grateful he was there with me!

Since I was only six weeks, they started out with the ultrasound on my stomach.  It was at that point that the ultrasound tech said, "Is there a chance of multiples?"  I explained to him that there is always a chance and twins run in the family, etc.  They then did a more detailed ultrasound which seemed to last for hours! I was so anxious and worried.  At some point, Chris and I heard them count to two and we looked at each other and thought, oh no it is twins!  But the tech did not show us anything or say anything to us until the end.  It was at that point that he looked at me and said, and I kid you not, "I don't want to alarm you, but there are four babies growing."  Ummm HELLO guy that is just a little alarming!!!  I think he needs to work on his presentation.  I just laughed at him as if it was some sort of joke.  He then showed us what he saw, but said he was going to send us upstairs to the ultrasound wing for an even more detailed exam.  The techs left, and it was just Chris, the nurse, and I.  I am so thankful for the nurse that was in the room with me that day when we found out.  I think her name was Jen, and she was just so sweet and comforting and knew all the right things to say.  In fact, all of my nurses that day were just so unbelievably supportive and comforting.  They all said they had never even seen twins in the ER, let alone QUADS!

At that point, I broke down in some serious tears and started panicking- mostly because it was so unexpected and I was scared of the unknown.  I looked at Chris and cried, "I NEED MY MOM!"  We hadn't told anyone yet, we were waiting until we hit the magic 12 week mark.  He went outside to call her, and then it was just me and my thoughts alone in the ER room.  Needless to say, uncontrollable sobbing ensued.  After what seemed like decades, my parents got there and Chris came back.  Everyone was just in shock.  They whisked me off to the ultrasound floor, and Chris went up with me.  While they did the ultrasound, we both looked at each other and said "Please don't find a fifth!"  We got to see a lot more detailed pictures that showed four separate sacs, and we got to hear four little heartbeats with the more high-tech machines.  It was thrilling, nerve-wracking, and altogether exhausting.  

With all the crazy news, they contacted my OB, who I hadn't even had an appointment with yet, and she sent one of her partners in her practice that was at the hospital to come chat with us.  We got some information, which I hardly even remember, but that was the start of the conversation about selective reduction, risks to the babies, risks to me, preterm labor, and miscarriages.  After that I was discharged.  What a whirlwind of a day.  We decided to go ahead and tell our immediate family and best friends because the pregnancy was so high-risk and because our lives were going to change so rapidly.  So, that night, we called the majority of our family and friends to fill them in on our day.  We are so blessed to have such great and supportive family and friends.  

One of our favorite things about this whole experience so far is seeing everyones reactions.  We have gotten pretty creative with our presentation.  It usually goes something like this:  "Kacie is pregnant!!"  Lots of yayyyy and screaming ensues- then we drop the bomb.  "There are FOUR!"  Silence.  Then we crack up.

So there you have it!  That is the story of the day we found out there were four little ones growing in my belly.  Over a month later, lots of things have happened since then.  I made this blog so I can keep all of our family and friends updated with what is currently going on.  Stay tuned for my next post (I have lots of free time on my hands) where I will share my "weekly" belly pictures so far and what has been going on the last month with Doctor appointments, ER visits (4 total), and our plans moving forward!

Thank you for reading this novel of a post!  It is great for me to have somewhere to recount all of our memories.  As a reward for making it through- some ultrasound pictures of babies A, B, C, and D!

3 Bambinos at 6 weeks (you can only see the one in one of the sacs)

Each of the tiny babies at 6 weeks (when we found out)

Baby D at 7 weeks- they grow fast!

Baby B, C, and D are all lined up in a row (Baby A in on the bottom taking up all the space)- 9 weeks

Baby A at 9 weeks- Heart Rate is 177 bpm; 3.03cm (biggest)

Baby B at 9 weeks- Heart Rate is 174 bpm; 2.95cm

Baby C at 9 weeks- Heart Rate is 171 bpm; 2.71cm

Baby D at 9 weeks- Heart Rate is 180 bpm; 2.68cm


 Hope you enjoyed the pictures =)  More to come from my latest Doctors Appointment at 11 weeks 6 days!

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading your blog! It gives me great hope that Matt and I will be so lucky one day! We have been trying for a while as well with no success. Congrats again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! We were frustrated too, but I think there is hope for everyone!

      Delete