Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2014

22 Weeks

Hello Everyone!

This post is not going to be the most exciting (as far as pictures go), but I will explain below.

We had an appointment yesterday with our high risk doctor for growth measurement, heart rate measurement, and my cervix check.  Needless to say, it was our worst appointment to date.  I knew everything was not going to go perfect forever, but that does not make it any easier.

The babies are doing wonderfully and growing exactly to schedule.  Baby A is 1 pound 1 ounce.  Baby B (the girl) is 15 ounces.  Baby C is 1 pound.  Baby D is 1 pound 1 ounce.  That is all very good news, and everything as far as the babies are concerned looks great.  They are very active, so that is reassuring to me because I can clearly feel all four of them kicking and punching me all day and night.

Bad news is that my cervix length is shortening a lot faster than we want it to.  At my last appointment 2 weeks ago, it was 30mm, and yesterday it had shortened to 16mm.  So it lost almost half of its length in not that much time.  Obviously, this is not good news, especially since we need to get some more time before the babies are viable outside the womb.  So, this changes our course of action.  My doctor prescribed me Progesterone which has been shown in some singleton pregnancies to strengthen the cervix.  It is not a sure thing, but it does not hurt anything and is a normal hormone so we are going to try it.  There is no reason not to, and if it helps us gain even a day or two, it is worth it.  Also, I am on strict bed rest at home.  I cannot leave my bed for any reason other than to go to the bathroom and to shower (sitting down) as needed.  I have to lay down in bed except for while I am eating.  I am also increasing my intake of protein to try to spur as much growth for the babies as possible.  I have to pay close attention to my body, and if I feel anything different at all, then I go straight to the hospital.

I have another appointment with my high risk doctor next Wednesday to check my cervix again.  At that point, the babies will be more viable, and it is likely I will be hospitalized for the duration.  I will also likely get my first round of steroid shots starting next Wednesday (it is 2 rounds of shots, 24 hours apart).  This will help spur the babies growth as much as possible in case they do come earlier than we hoped.  

All of that leads to me saying please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.  If you know me, you know I tend to worry a lot, and that is the last thing I need to do right now.  I am trying to keep distracted with books, tv, and the internet, but there is only so much of that you can do in a day.  We need to keep those babies inside for another couple of weeks so we will have the chance to bring them home.

Love to you all, and thank you for the support.


6 comments:

  1. Love and prayers Kacie! You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kacie I know you don't know me. I am a friend of Danny's. I have prayed for you and your babies for the last couple of weeks and will continue to do so. Take care of yourself and follow doctor's orders even though they may be a pain. I have a friend whose daughter carried two sets of identical twins. My hopes and prayers are that your babies will do as well as hers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kacie, praying you can keep the buns cooking in the oven! So proud of you! XOXO, Cousin Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kacie girl you always had to do everything big. I'm so happy for you and your family. Hang in there. Everything is going to be otay. They say the Good Man never give is to much to handle. I love you and miss you. Let me know what I can do for you. My email is natalieseevers@ymail.com. Muah Sista

    ReplyDelete
  5. I doubt if Chris knows me, but I'm Danny's cousin. His dad and my mom were sister and brother. I am so excited for you and Chris (I guess that makes us second cousins). I am praying that all goes well with you and all 4 babies everyday. I'm sure you're exhausted and tired and laying around but as you know everyday in the womb is better for the babies. I hope one day I can meet them and you and Chris! I hope it's been a good week. I keep looking for updates! <3 I will keep my prayers going and you do whatever they tell you to do! I look forward to the next update. <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a common flavonoid, luteolin can treat various diseases like inflammatory disorders, hypertension and cancer. From here: www.nfextracts.com/luteolin-supplements. This is why luteolin supplements are so popular in our daily life.

    ReplyDelete